Natchez Blackberry - full sun container problems

Buckeye85May 9, 2013

I picked up this sad blackberry plant on clearance last year, and it turned into a sprawling monster (and made three babies, too). This year I up-potted it into a 20 gallon smart pot from the 2-3 gallon plastic container it was previously in, and my father was kind enough to build a trellis that I figured would be portable enough when we move out of this apartment next spring.

However, after mounting it, I realized that the plant is only going to get partial sun - our wall faces roughly NW, and the shade of the building blocks the morning/early afternoon sun. Should I move it? The best I can do is maybe un-mount the trellis, drag everything forward, and find some way to anchor the trellis base to the ground - it is probably doable, but definitely a PITA.

Will it make a big difference in fruit production? I am pretty new to berries, though my blueberry plants are going crazy in their smart pots.

Here's a picture...it was just re-potted yesterday, so it's definitely a little droopy today...I'm hoping it perks up soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

You'll get some good feedback here, and maybe even better over on the Fruits forum.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Buckeye85

Thanks; I hope so.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
pine straw instead of pine bark fines?
Dear folks According to the 5-1-1 mix I should use...
ItsJorgen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™