Are Persian Cucumbers for real or a gimmick?

formerly_creativeguyMarch 18, 2013

My wife is fond of the 4" long Persian Cucumbers sold in the supermarket, and wants to grow some in the garden this season. I can't seem to find definitive information about whether these "Persian Cucumbers" as marketed in stores are an actual Persian cucumber or just baby burpless cukes. Frankly, they look like burpless cucumbers picked early to me. Anyone have any insight? If they are an actual type of cucumber, a seed source would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

I have not grown Persian Cucumber and can't help you there. It may be that your wife likes them because they do not have tough skins and need to be peeled. If so, she would also like the Beit Alpha varieties.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:04AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They may look the same but they aren't. Article link below is the history and breeding/development of the hybrid variety. Seeds for them are available from several different sources.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Persian Cucumbers

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:04AM
farmerdill

Yes, Persian is a marketing name for Beit Alpha type cucumbers, a popular green house type in Europe . A Google search for beit alpha cucumber seeds will reveal lots of sources in the US. Most are hybrids, but Baker Creek has an open pollinated one. Johnny's has a wide selection of hybrid varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: beit alpha cukes

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:09AM
formerly_creativeguy

That info was both interesting and informative, folks. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes Anyone ever try these?...
fresc1000
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™