planter design for an evergreen screen

neworder71March 7, 2011

We are looking at putting in pool and screen of evergreens along our back fence for noise abatement.

We are considering options like Italian or Leyland cypresses. Something dense and with a trimmed/neat look to them. We live in Memphis, TN. For extra noise control and some visual interest (yard is dead flat) we want to place the trees in a raised planter, masonry 2-3' high with stacked stone facing. Since these will be a noise screen the trees will be planted fairly close together. Our soil is heavy sticky clay, but we will be able to condition what is going in the planter somewhat. Ideally the trees will grow to about 12-15', probably buy 6'.

2 question:

-Other tree suggestions?

-required width of the planters to allow the roots to spread and not be suseptable to wind. Assume planter foundation will only be around edges so roots could grow down.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DustonMcGroarty

There's a few different options here... first, if you would like your matured tree to be 12-15' tall, I would suggest fastening your planters into the ground.

Drill holes through the boards and slide rebar through them and into the ground. I wouldn't make the planters any smaller than 3' wide.

Secondly, you could look at a few different types of junipers. Skyrocket Junipers grow fairly quickly.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 11:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neworder71

Planter may not be the right word, this is a large masonry box, say 60' x 8'. Not sure of the width yet.

The skyrocket do have a nice look, but I'm seeing they only spread 2' so I'd need 30 of them. I was looking for something with a bit more width so I could buy fewer and taller.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
To Tree Or Not To Tree, That Is The Question
Oh, Spring. That special time when you re-evaluate...
Shan
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Building retaining wall in wet area
Hey all. I would like to extend my backyard out another...
ajheich86
Sponsored Products
Moroccan Tile Jar Planter
$265.00 | Horchow
French Bistro High Stool - Set of 2 - Fermob
$464.00 | HORNE
Terra Cotta 3-piece Tile Top Bistro Set
Overstock.com
Rondo 40 Self Watering Planter by Lechuza
$239.99 | Lumens
Cambridge Tall Planter
Grandin Road