Please Help! Landscape Design

jbc1-jaxMarch 23, 2013

Thanks for your help. The issue: Building a new home, have home plans done, but need help on landscape design. Question:

1) How much is the fee for service for landscape designing? How is is calculated? (Just for design, I can do the install/planting myself)

2) If I wanted to design it myself, what would be the best approach?

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Fees will vary widely from location to location and with the experience and reputation of the designer. They are often calculated by the hour but some will quote a fixed price once they have an idea of the scope of the project. You should look for an independant designer - those associated with larger businesses or nurseries often market the design as the hook to sell the contracting services and plant material. Having just a set of plans drawn up with you doing all the work and acquiring all the materials yourself is one of the least expensive ways of pursuing a landscaping project....designer's fees could be as little as a couple hundred bucks depending on the size of the property and complexity or can escalate to several thousands for more elaborate situations. It is the labor and materials that really add up!

If you want to tackle the deisgn yourself, I'd suggest getting a couple of good how-to books on home landscaping and at least one textbook on basic design principals from a library or home improvement store. The more you know and become familiar with the process, the better the result will be. Landscape design is not rocket science but it does require some basic knowledge and a certain amount of creativity.

Good luck!!

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
demeron(Zone 6)

I paid $250 for a plan from a garden designer at a local nursery which we used to landscape the front.

I'm getting work done for the back so the plan is part of the overall cost.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Sponsored Products
Olivia Marble-Top Coffee Table
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Mesa
Home Depot
Nourison Area Rug: Modesto Abstract Brown 3' 11" x 5' 3"
$56.97 | Home Depot
Elk Lighting 14H in. French Roast Carved Storage Jar - 93-9238
$80.00 | Hayneedle
Mercury Line Sectional
| Italy Design