lettuce and heat?

Mindyw3(5)March 24, 2012

Lows are in the 50s and highs in the 70s and 80s. Im scared my lettuce is going to bolt! My arugula already did, but my mache has not. Problem is they are still quite small. Id say they have at least 2 to 3 weeks till maturity. Should i start picking them anyway? Or do you think theyll be fine? I just dont want them to go completely to waste.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ikea_gw

It depends on what variety you are growing. I think arugula will bolt a lot sooner than lettuce and a few days of 80s weather isn't a big problem as long as your lettuce is watered thoroughly.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 12:01PM
Mindyw3(5)

Its been those temps for a while and predicted to stay that way for at least the 10 day. The varieties are little ceasar sylvestra speckles four seasons buttercrunch black seeded simpson red lollo and some space spinach.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 12:13PM
bi11me(5b)

The lettuces you list, and the spinach, are all varieties well suited to cut-and-come-again harvesting. You should take a few of the largest leaves from each plant every 3 or 4 days. Once they start to show signs of bolting, cut the entire plant and reseed with something else for the summer. You can re-plant things like arugula and spinach all summer but you will probably only get one harvest before they start to bolt again, so you are better off planting warm-season varieties and waiting till fall to re-plant those crops. If you have anything to transplant, and are using wide rows, you can put taller plants on the south side of the salad plants, which will shade them. This will make them grow slower, but it will help to keep the soil cooler and they will last a little longer. You can also experiment with shade cloths, light colored mulch like dried grass clippings or straw, or misting/evaporation, but nothing you do is going to change what the sun is doing, so you have to accept that things will bolt eventually, no matter what.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™