Top Quality Edging To Go Around Landscapeing

joetoeMarch 29, 2012

I would like to know where one can buy Top Quality Edging to go around the garden and landscaping?

Which is better vinyl or metal?

I am looking for 6 inch depth on the edging.

I would think that it would be cheaper to buy it from a Supply Company than to buy it from a Landscape Company in the area.

I would say that I would need at less 300 feet of it.

Another ideal that came to mind is to get a Edger and edge around everything.

What would look better?

What I am trying to do is keep the grass and weeds from entering the landscape and gardens.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Top Quality and Cheaper don't usually go together.
So do you want top quality or cheap or are you concerned with aesthetics ?

Composite wood products range in price and size. Starting at about a dollar a foot for the cheap plastic 3/4 by 4 inch stuff.

Then you graduate to a heavier width that is wider and has a more attractive look and will last many years when properly installed.

Steel is quite stunning especially if you have a modern project and will last quite a while and age beautifully , especially if you have a skilled craftsman do the installation.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I like a trench edge (aka Victorian or natural) steel or aluminum edging or a brick or paver mowing strip. I would not give you 2 cents for plastic edging. Unless it is super expensive looking, I do not like edgings that stick up above the grade. I think they junk up the overall picture. You can Google images for landscape edging or any of the specific types to see examples.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 9:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hard to beat a good steel edging for holding grass in check. Nothing will prevent turf grass from crawling over the top of it, but you can easily control that with a weed eater. HD or Lowe's is where I would go for it. If you want a more elegant appearance, you can place river rock behind it. Goes for about $.30 a pound, say maybe $6.00 a foot.

    Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 10:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No I don't want chap stiff.

    Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 5:00AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™