Okra Yields Question

KendraSchmidtMarch 28, 2012

Hi GW,

My family eats gombo weekly and we use about four pounds of okra each week to make our gombo. I am planning to grow my own okra again this year - this time working with Clemson Spineless seeds. My question is, how many okra plants do I need to have to be able to harvest four pounds per week in total? We have a lot of sun, if that's of any help.

PLEASE if someone knows the answer, I'll be superhappy. Thank you.

(As a side note, if anyone knows how high my raised bed should be for Okra plants (minimum height, please), I would really appreciate it. We have a weed mat on the ground made of some sort of cloth...if that's relevant)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Once it starts bearing, you will get two - 4 pods per day per plant until frost. You do the math.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 1:24PM
KendraSchmidt

Thanks FD, seems like I'll need a few beds of nothing but okra then, if I want my food. I also wanted to be able to can some. Any ideas of which variety is the highest yield?

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 5:44PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Last summer, I transplanted Okra into Black Plastic and was picking 20-40 pounds off of 240 row feet every week from June-September.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 6:05PM
farmerdill

Highest yield. probably Cowhorn. Best all around for me Emerald.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 6:08PM
KendraSchmidt

JRSlick, what variety of okra did you plant? Also, what do you mean by Black Plastic? Please let me know, 20-40 lbs sounds right up my alley.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 6:32PM
ParmaJon

Black plastic mulch. http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Black-Plastic-Mulch-1-Mil-Smooth-3-x-50-p360.htm

4 lbs a day would be a lot of plants. They arn't the tightest spaced veg, nor the garden's biggest producer. You may be better served by growing less of your own and picking a variety for flavor and then supplementing your own harvest with some high yeild commercial varieties from the farmers market or store.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:32PM
fusion_power

4 pounds per week would translate to between 25 and 35 plants. My rule of thumb is to have 2 okra plants every 18 inches. You could squeeze that much into a single raised bed about 9 feet long by 4 feet wide using 3 "rows" each with 6 hills of 2 plants. It would require cutting okra in the middle of the bed which could be a "prickly" proposition.

DarJones

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:56PM
KendraSchmidt

Perfect DarJones. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I need just that, four pounds per week. I'm hoping to maybe put additional dwarf plants into containers to ensure that I have enough to freeze for the winter months, too. 25 to 35 plants sounds PERFECT. Thanks again for your help!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 5:52AM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

The variety was Clemson Spineless. It was also a great year for Okra, Dry and Hot! However, the best thing was the plastic mulch and spacing it one foot apart. I have never had Okra do this well before. I am planning on doing the same thing this year and see what the results are.

Plastic mulch or landscape fabric (that is what I used) comes in 3 foot by 50, 100 or 300 foot rolls. I am using black plastic mulch this year and I purchased a 4,000 foot roll. I will have it around for a few years!

Jay

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™