manure for raised bed

duane456March 28, 2012

Hi, I would like to add some "composted" (not fresh) steer manure to my raised beds. I don't know how much to add without going overboard. Could someone give some insight on a "approx." amount to add? I'd appreciate any tips, advice, etc. Thanks in advance !

Duane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

1" if added just before planting. 2-3" if done in the fall. Tilled in well in both cases.

In raised beds you can also trench a couple of inches in down the center and let it act like a fertilizer channel but you don't get the soil improvement from it that way. I have the best results side dressing plants with it once established.

JMO

Dave

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 11:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bi11me(5b)

I completely agree with Dave. I prefer to do sequential light additions as crops warrant it, rather than a heavy application, but in the fall, if you aren't doing season extension, you will get a lot of benefit from a heavier addition that will be well-incorporated into the soil by natural processes by spring. Trenching is particularly good with tomatoes, squash, and melons, whose roots should reach the manure just when they need the boost.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™