Trying to make trellis for peas, with string, which knot?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAMarch 21, 2011

I have bamboo poles in the corners of my raised beds in place and I hoped to construct a string trellis with horizontals and verticals. I tried it yesterday and some of the string didn't remain taut. I wonder if there is a better knot to use over others? I just tried a simple double knot and I don't think it is holding well. Anyone ever do this? If you know the name of the knot, I can look up directions how to make it.

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

It might not be the knot, it could be the string, or now sturdy in the ground the bamboo is placed.

I used to like cotton and hemp string, but now I use a thin sisal, it holds up better to humidity and sags less. I use square knots.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:59AM
jcrowder(7)

I just use basic square knots. More important than the knot is the kind of string you use. Make sure you use a natural cotton or twine type of string. Runners can't grasp onto nylon string that is slick feeling. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:59AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Ok, thanks for that advice. My string is just your basic ball of twine from the hardware store. I will look around for the sisal, maybe Amazon dot com sells it. We pounded the poles into the ground pretty good. Square knots, thanks. I'll give it another try as soon as it stops snowing. [g]

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:33PM
jimster(z7a MA)

To connect the ends of two strings together, use a square knot.

To tie the end of a string to a stick, pole, string or other object, use a double half hitch.

Those two knots will take care of just about any situation. They will not slip if made properly.

Jim

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:32PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks Jim, I'll check out those two knots and give it a try.

I also just checked my string and it is actually sisal.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 2:48PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I use a slipped double half hitch off of a clove hitch. The clove hitch keeps the twine in place during the half-hitch tying, and slipping the half hitch allows easy untying as the twine gets weighted down.

Dan

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 2:48PM
daylilyfanatic4(Zone 6 SE NY)

string will expand and contract with the weather. Try soaking the twine before tying it. (tie it when it is wet)

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™