Powdered milk for calcium?

eaglejohn1(10a)May 19, 2008

I have been given a bunch of powdered milk and really have no use for it. I do use some in place of milk for baking and in instant mashed potatoes.

Question is: in adding calcium, such as egg shells to soil, could I add powdered milk to watering. Would it be beneficial?

john

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redneck_grower

About 2/3 of milk calcium is called 'colloidal'; that is, it is bound to some extent to casein molecules. Only 1/3 of the calcium is in an ionic form that would be readily available to plants. I would think bacterial action would be required to free the colloidal calcium before it would be available to the plants.

Also, powdered milk is high in fat and protein; bacterial breakdown of the fat will produce rancidity, and some odor could be expected; also possibility of some odor and even ammonia production as bacteria break down the proteins. The flies and maggots should love it!

I can't think of a reason I would use it; except perhaps in a compost pile that you don't mind getting smelly. (I composted a bunch of old dog food once; nasty smell, lots of maggots, but by the next year I had the most gorgeous compost you could imagine!)

Cheers!

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™