reusing city pickers garden kit

peggy41May 18, 2014

I bought 2 City Pickers patio garden kits last year and loved them. I only took the dead plants out for winter and left them outside. Now I need to know what I should do to the soil to replant this year's crop. Can I reuse the soil even though I had tomato plants in both boxes (along with either peppers or something else)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johns.coastal.patio(USDA 10b, Sunset 24)

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants are all "nightshades." We aren't supposed to re-use soil for those, and absolutely not if there was any plant disease last season.

So, I think the best-practice choice wouild be new soil (and wash the containers) before planting more nightshades.

Or, you could reuse soil and plant something different and robust, like green beans.

For some reason many sites list green beans as the number one best container vegetable crop.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Growing in self watering containers is different from growing in the ground, where it's best to rotate your crops, especially the ones from the night shade family. That's largely because of soil borne diseases like verticillium and fusarium wilt build up over time.

I am new to self watering containers, but I've been frequenting the Earthbox forum and followed the activities of Raybo, who invented the Earthtainer. They recommend removing the old plants with their rootballs and about 20-30 percent of the old potting mix. Then they mix in the new mix along with a full dose of lime and fertilizers as you did the first year. You can do this for a couple of years so long as your mix doesn't get compacted and your plants stay disease free.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Sponsored Products
Raw Turquoise One-Light 9.25-Inch Outdoor Wall Sconce with Storm Cloud Center Cu
$151.20 | Bellacor
'Parsley' Herb Garden Stake Set
$6.99 | zulily
Thermostatic Shower System - Triple Valve, Head, Handset Kit & Jets
Hudson Reed
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Escape 68 in. Indoor/Outdoor Brushed Nickel Ceiling
Home Depot
Brushed Nickel Wall Mount Tub Shower Mixer Faucet with Divertor
Hudson Reed
Emerson LK5 Classic Glass Bowl Light Kit - LK51
$50.00 | Hayneedle
Masquerade 149 Pendant by Varaluz
$749.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Lyndhurst Zen Gardens Brown Rug (3'3 x 5'3)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™