Multiplying onions

ldj1002(8b)March 10, 2014

I got these onion sets and all it said was multiplying onions. I have attached photo how they look since coming up. How do I harvest them? Actually I know nothing about them. I need to know all including do I leave them there year around?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Multiplying onions aka Walking onions, aka Egyptian onions, are a perennial onion not normally harvested for their roots. Instead you harvest the small bublets that develop on the top of the stalks and leave the rest of the plant.

You leave a few of the top bulbs in place and in time the plant top falls over and plants that bulb to create a new plant, thus they "walk" and the patch expands.

Lots of Google info available on growing them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Egyptian Walking Onions

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 1:12PM
ldj1002(8b)

Thanks very much and for the link which tells all I need to know. Now I assume you know from my photo I do have the Walking Onions.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 3:48PM
farmerdill

If they are indeed Walking or top setting onions The above link provides all the info you need. However, most of the time Multiplier is applied to potato onions or shallots, These multiply by division of the bulb. Culture is much the same as for seeded onions, except you dig and divide the bulb cluster and save the smaller ones fror replanting and use the bigger ones like any other onion. I can't tell from you photo what you have.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:02PM
annew21 (zone 7b NC)(7b NC)

There are a few different kinds of multiplier onions. Here's some info that might help:

Types of multiplier onions
Growing guide

The key is knowing whether they are bulb or Egyptian walking onions. You'll figure that out as the season progresses.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 8:40PM
pnbrown

If you want to find well-suited multiplying onion cultivars for TX you need to communicate with Jeff Cupp, in AL. He is collecting all the southern cultivars he can find. I bought some different ones from him a year ago and set them out in Florida sand and left them for 10 months. Not only did some survive (some did not but that is very tough conditions) they are doing quite well. One is a top setter, others are just base multipliers.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:19AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

In our area, the Farm Coops carry "multipler onions" which are planted as sets in the fall. You pull the clusters apart and plant each little onion about six inches apart. They each make a cluster of green onions that grow larger (the cluster, not the onions) all winter. When I want green onions, I go out, dig up a cluster, replant at least one of them in that spot and bring the rest in. Even as cold as our winter was this year, I still have beautiful green onions to pull for the early spring lettuce. I have never tried saving the sets. May have to give that a whirl this year. These are what farmerdill was referring to. I'm just giving you a bit more info. The first time I planted them I had no idea what to expect and planted WAY too many.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my cauliflower head?
One of my cauliflowers with the same soil, fertilizer,...
djkj
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Storing onion sets
I purchased a bag of onion sets for growing as green...
rgress
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
Sponsored Products
Iris Germanica Root - Set of 12
$14.99 | zulily
14 Series Single Pendant with Mini Canopy by Bocci
$350.00 | Lumens
Trans Globe 69903 Hanging Lantern - 9W in. - 69903 BK
$112.10 | Hayneedle
Favorite Finds Chrome/Walnut/Black Oval Adjustable Swivel Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Eternal Triangle Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Bocci | 14.5 Five Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
One-Light Black Large Onion Outdoor Wall Light
$131.10 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Balta US Rugs Oakgrove Blue 2 ft. x 3
$19.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™