Design help - shape of stone beds

wizard19March 17, 2011

We are replacing all our rotted timber beds around the house, including about a 3 foot high retaining wall around half of our pool with limestone. All our beds are basic rectangles/90 degree shaped. The pool is basically rectangular also. We have an oak clump in the middle of the backyard and we are also adding a raised bed, about 15 feet long in the back corner of the yard (basically running a 45 degree angle to the corner). The landscaper wants to change the bed around the oak clump from round to rectangular (and enlarge the area, which I agree with) to match the general shapes of the rest of the beds around the house. He also suggested the new bed in the back corner to be more straight lines than some smooth curves. From a general design principle, do you want to tend to follow the same shape or mix it up? I am thinking I prefer the rounder shapes/smooth curves. Is is just personal preference? Thx for your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I like rectanges - with the corners rounded. That way you get the best of both worlds so to speak :-)

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 10:40AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Consistency makes for continuity, but I wouldn't say it's a hard and fast rule. Sometimes a change adds drama. Ask for sketches showing both concepts, that may help you decide.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 11:20AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I think the style of the house should be an important factor. Rectangles for a "modern" house. Rounded shapes for an older or more traditional style, particularly if the plantings are more naturalistic rather than sheared.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 12:56PM
wizard19

I talked to him this morning and he suggested angling the corners, which I thought was a good solution. His comment was "you get the best of both" as WOODYOAK mentioned. Thx all for the responses!

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 9:27PM
Campanula UK Z8

to some extent, the materials tend to dictate the shape of beds and other structures. The age, style and building materials used in the house generally have a direct bearing on the decisions around garden design, particularly which materials are used for hard landscaping. As a rule, I do like consistency, at least in each section of the garden, if not across the whole.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Sponsored Products
Contemporary 4-piece Canopy Bedroom Set
Great Furniture Deal
Brentwood Deluxe Ivory/Taupe 5-piece Bedspread Set
Overstock.com
St. Lucia Tropical Leaf Quilt
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Chai Microsuede Sofa Bed
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Border Frame Sham
Serena & Lily