Al's 5-1-1 mix

catlover_gardenerMay 23, 2011

I think I finally accomplished the making of Al's 5-1-1 mix.I managed to get pine bark nuggets, perlite and peat moss (I found a huge bale at HD), CRF, and lime from Espoma.

I tried to stay as closely as possible to the measurements, tho I have no sifts. I used my hands to break up nuggets, bz they varied in size, some up to 1".

Anyway, after I pot up some tomato seedlings, do I water them right away? The mix has been sitting for two weeks bz I have been too busy to transplant the tomatoes.

I am so nervous about the success of this method so I am going to try one tomato plant in a small container. If it works, I will transplant to a bigger container to continue the growth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

If the mix is moist, then 'no', but if it's dry, then a deep watering is in order. Peat moss dries out quickly and is hard to re-wet, although it can be done. It would be good for you to use a water meter to make sure how moist/dry the soil below the surface is - tomatoes are very picky about moisture. I would recommend you do a google.com search for how to transplant seedlings.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™