California dreaming...

bahia(SF Bay Area)March 15, 2011

Shot of a private residential backyard in San Francisco's East Bay. Focus on plants AND hard scape...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/4464655195/in/set-72157626121794400/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laag(z6CapeCod)

I like the warm tones with the dark green .... definitely different than the New England scene.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 6:11PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I like the way the odd yellowish concrete brings out both the yellow and the lighter green tones in the foliage and flowers.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 6:23PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Different from New England, huh? I thought I was channeling some tropical design that would look at home in Caracas, Venezuela, where my client was born, but he said that it didn't have any relationship to gardens he remembered back home either. The colors of the hardscape were definitely meant to pop/contrast with the plantings, and the clear California light really heightens color contrasts. The concrete color is a semitransparent concrete stain that is painted on after the concrete cures. Overall, I would say that the garden combines Mediterranean garden principles with some subtropical/Canary Island touches. The plant combinations can really only be combined this way in a few places around the world, but definitely not the same as in a USDA zone 10a in Florida, or even in Los Angeles.

I know this style wouldn't really fit back east, but being on the Pacific Rim, we don't have to fantasize about creating gardens that look similar to those in Auckland, New Zealand, Sydney, Australia, or Ubud, Bali.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 3:06AM
rosiew(8 GA)

Bahia,

Your client's garden is perfection, a gem. Do hope the client really enjoys it.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 5:17PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

This is my favorite of the two presented, something about the progression of the steps and levels is very appealing. The colored concrete, the materials, the massed plants and contrasting textures really grab me.

Been trying to contact you without success and gave up.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™