Are Z5 Black Raspberries in containers difficult?

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)May 6, 2011

I did a quick search and didn't come up with much, which leads me to believe this is a tough one. I know from a brief experience with growing them in the ground years ago, that winter hardiness is an issue, and that there aren't many kinds to choose from in Z5. They lasted a few years for me, and eventually died out. Has anyone done this in containers successfully in Zone 5? We have an excellent wild Black Raspberry (black caps) around here which seems to do fine. Maybe I should try propagating that. My wife loves them, and I like them too. I'll be visiting the nursery on Monday to see what they have, if anything. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

Check on the Wye raspberry. This is a complete parentage of Red Raspberry and Blackberry crosses. It is similar to the Tay berry in its character. But it carries better winter hardiness, and fluctuating temperatures. Yield and flavor are very good. Berries are large conical shape, firm and well filled. Core stays in the berry similar to blackberry species, but color is deep red like the red raspberry types. The taste is more in likeness to the red raspberry, but has hints of boysenberry in its flavor. WYE BERRY will out yield standard raspberry

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™