contant infestations!

scubagirl21May 22, 2011

Hi all,

I have a bunch of plants in containers on my balcony (since I live in an apartment, I can't have a "real" garden). Some of them do well and have never had any problems, but some of them seem to be constantly battling infestations of one kind or another. On my balcony, my gazania is always battling aphids and sometimes ants. My begonia was doing great but I think the ants spread from my gazania. Now that I got rid of the ants (for now), I just noticed that the begonia has spider mites. I got a rose a couple of weeks ago that also has spider mites. I spray the affected plants with water mixed with neem oil and dish soap, which helps a lot (much better than the harsh chemicals I tried in the past) but never seems to fully get rid of the problem. Or, once I think it has, a new bug comes along! I can't figure out why I keep having so many problems: I live on the 3rd floor and the surrounding area is sprayed weekly with pesticides. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

The oil will only kill adults but not eggs. So they could keep hatching. You may need to use pesticides. There are organic pesticides that would work. I have sprayed plants with barsoap/water and it worked well. After applying the soap I let soak to kill the pests then rinse with water.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Buy a product called Bayer Tree and Shrub. It's a soil drench that will kill all the pests that chew on the plant. I wouldn't garden without it! No - I am not associated with the makers of this product and I don't sell it - but I definetly USE IT!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™