water ph for containers

bigpinksMay 16, 2011

I am using caught rain water to irrigate my container tomatoes, eggplants and bell peppers. Since rain ph is acidic and municipal water is alkaline should I use a little of both? I hate the thought of putting chlorine on my plants while I have 140 gallons of rain water in my barrels. Net says rain is about 5.6 so maybe with the limed 5-1-1 this is high enough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you have the rainwater available, by all means - use it, even though the pH of rainwater varies significantly with where you live. I would feel comfortable watering with water anywhere from 5.0-7.0, depending on what I'm using for fertilizer. I water with a garden hose in the summer & that produces water with a pH of around 8.5. Still, my plants do thrive, as long as I'm flushing the soil to keep (bi)carbonates from accumulating in the soil.

AL

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 5:15PM
bigpinks

Thank you very much....rain water has been easy to get..lol...I do have some anti mosquito do-nuts I am using in the barrels...dont likem but absolutely hate the dang skeeters!

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 5:42PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You could buy a few feeder goldfish & toss 'em in your rain barrel(s) to keep the skeeters in check.

Al

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 8:58PM
calistoga_al

Hydroponics dealers have a water PH test kit for less than ten dollars. I use two wells and had no idea what the water PH was. Al

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™