Iron deficiency in container pepperocini

jcadeMay 5, 2014

Hi everyone!

I'm new to trying to grow things and not kill them (aka gardening). We have a pepperoncini plant that had it's first bud appear over the weekend however it also has some serious signs of iron deficiency. Tested the soil's pH and combined with the yellowing of the leaves and a scorched appearance I'm hoping I can help this little guy out. I've read a lot about chelated iron being added to correct the problem but am wondering if anyone has tips or suggestions to help with this.

What we're using:
Three gallon smart pot
Aurora organics potting soil
Once a week feed with BioThrive 4-3-3 formula (It's high in nitrogen and now that I found a few buds I plan on changing the feed to something high in phosphate to get the fruit going unless there's other suggestions)
Watering when the top few inches of soil feel dry

He lives in a west facing window where he can get sun and warmth.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcade

Yellowing spots on leaves around veins

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:41PM
jcade

A few examples of leaves that appear "scorched" There are several of these around the plant, particularly on the larger leaves.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:43PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I think the plant looks great!

Perhaps you kill plants with care. A plant needs water and sunlight. It doesn't need a chemistry lab - plants have been growing without chemicals for millions of years. I recommend that you back off on the ferts, give them a standard feeding of 3:1:2 NPK weekly (or less).

And water when the plant starts to wilt (or a little sooner once you learn how often it wants water).

For some folks the hardest thing in gardening is learning patience.

Good luck,
Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Tue, May 6, 14 at 12:21

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:49PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The plant looks fine, although rather immature (still small compared to a fully mature plant). Indoors is going to be tough and I think your plant will be limited by insufficient light rather than insufficient nutrients.

The fertilizer you are using is not necessarily "high" Nitrogen - it's actually high Phosphorous and Potassium. At this point, I'd actually increase the Nitrogen to keep the plant growing. Peppers will flower long before they're ready to set pods. Most often, the early flowers will abort - but many of us will remove early blooms in order to keep the plant in a vegetative state (until it is of an appropriate production stature).

Chlorosis would look much different. I recommend googling for images of iron deficiency.

Josh

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™