getting rid of grass

supaflyzApril 6, 2010

Hey guys my mom have been wanting to dig out the dirt and grass on both sides of the house for awhile because whenever it rains it leave a big mess and makes it look ugly. It use to have st. augustine grass but now its taken over by kentucky blue grass and bermuda grass. We hire someone to do the concrete patio and cover and it looks great. They also did these little concrete frame that my mom wanted to keep the grass out from her trees and flowers. It cover over much of the grass. We still have a little part left on the left side of the house and a good amount on the right.

Initially we wanted to hire someone to dig out about 2 or 3 inches of dirt and grass. Then we would put cardboard box over it. Then put the garden plastic material to prevent grass from growning. Then put sand on it to level it out. After that just lay some patio pavers over it.

The guy that came to look at the backyard today said you don't necessarily have to take the dirt and grass out. He can put sand over it. Then put some cement and mix it and put it over the sand. He will order some kind of machine to compress it together. Then laid the pavers on top.

Do you guys think that is an effective way to prevent the grass from growing and makes the yard look cleaner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

If I understand correctly, you want this to be all patio?

Compressing? Sounds like the level will be be raised with the addition of pavers. What happens to the existing stepping 'stones'? Not sure of what your Mom's final vision is.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 2:20PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Is the rest of the property -- as well as the surrounding area -- as level as what the pictures show? If you're covering everything with cement and raising it, will drainage be a problem?

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 3:50PM
supaflyz

I was kind of worry about that same situation. I was thinking they have to dig down to make it level to the ground.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™