Grubex in Containers

barb_in_dc(z7 DC)May 3, 2012

I apologize if this subject has come up before--it's been a long time since I checked in here--but I just bought a bag of Grubex to mix into new potting soil. I have long had problems with grubs in my containers and have previously tried the Milky Spore and nematodes to no avail. Last year, I bought some expensive poison and used that. This year, I want to prevent an outbreak in the first place by using the Grubex. This will only be for roses and other perennial ornamentals and not for tomato or other edibles. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If the active ingredient is Imidacloprid (broadly used), it will work. I occasionally use Imidacloprid in liquid form on my bonsai trees if I get a stubborn problem.

Al

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barb_in_dc(z7 DC)

Actually, the active ingredient (you made me run outside and look) is something like "Chlorantrilipole" (sp?). Still, since I already spent $20 for the bag, I'm going to go ahead and use it. Couldn't hurt; might help. I just despise finding those awful little things, chewing up the roots, in my containers. I knew I could count on you, Al. Happy B-Day from another Taurus.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™