Thrips on lettuce :(

AppleKabob(5)May 27, 2012

I have a vegetable container garden on my ~6' by 12', south facing third floor balcony. Today the temperatures are up into the 90s and to keep my tender spring mix delicious, I decided to bring the planters inside until the weather improves. I had noticed a few patchy leaves around the edges over the last week but I thought little of it. However, upon close inspection, I see that many of the leaves have silvery patches with tiny black dots in them and upon even closer inspection I found a thrip! I pulled and discarded as many infected leaves as I can find and liberally sprayed with the homemade spray I used for spider mites on my banana tree (~1% rosemary oil, 1% Dr Bronner's peppermint castile soap, a few drops of dish soap in water). And being inside, they are now quarantined from the rest of my plants. It seems wrong that something with as cute a name as "thrip" is so destructive. Any thoughts on eliminating them/ preventing their spread/ etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynneblack

OMG THANK YOU! I have been trying for two weeks to identify these things that are in my garden, when you mentioned 'thrips' I did a search on google images and sure enough, that's what I have and they have been raising hell in my garden. I don't know how to get rid of them, but now that I know what they are I'm going to start searching =)

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™