Is this the saddest excuse for a soiless mix? lol pic

xmikelx(6)May 7, 2012

so i wanted to create a soiless mix but idk if this will work> fir bark ( zoo med repti bark) and leca stones. any advice or thoughts..... or help is appreciated lol

is it ok like this if i add napa auto parts floor dry stuff? or perlite something else???

i soooo want to stop using mg stuff... gnat fly haven!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

That soil will work fine if you can keep up with your plants' watering needs. It's difficult to have too much aeration, from the plants' perspective, but you need to balance that against your need to eat/sleep/work/watch Idol instead of water. ;-) Ideally, your particles would be in the 1/10" to 1/4" size range with most concentrated in the 1/10 to 1/8" gradient.

Al

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmikelx(6)

Hi mister AL! *-*
funnylol not to mention go to school and do homework!

SO, some of the bark and leca stones are a little too large. i can just remove some of the big ones....right.

so can my adding napa floor dry #8822 screened through a insect screen retain enough water so i an go a few days without watering? i Just dont want to be bothered with the MG potting soil

i have two experiments with mg potting soil, bark and perlite.i put a little more potting soil in this one. i didnt screen the perlite. the gardenia vietnamensis seems to be ok and it dries out relatively fast for a plant that is not potbound. ( i hate perlite it floats right to the top.)

the other one there is more bark then potting soil. i have a african gardenia in it.it is just now starting to show signs of growth( it was root pruned)

i probably shouldnt experiment with these kinds of plants?! lol

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™