Grow Box from The Garden Patch

gjshawk(6)May 15, 2013

I've purchased three of the Garden Patch Grow Boxes, and have started using them now that the freezing nights are in the past. I've filled them with Mel's Mix from Square Foot Gardening, and planted tomatoes and peppers in two of them, and bush beans in the third.

I've been reading the container forums and haven't found mention of Mel's Mix used in containers (1/3 coarse vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 blended compost). So far all is good. Photos attached. The Grow Boxes come with a built-in fertilizer tube that dissolves throughout the growing season.

Has anyone else used Mel's Mix in containers? Results?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Nice grow box. Was Mel's mix suggested? Kinda hard to tell how big it is. What are the dimensions? I notice that you have 2 tomato plants in it.

This post was edited by edweather on Wed, May 15, 13 at 20:40

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:37PM
gjshawk(6)

It's pretty much a 1 ft by 2 ft box, about 14 inches deep, I think. The recommended soil was Miracle Grow Potting Mix, but I have four raised boxes with Mel's mix, and it's supposed to be better, so I used it. When I planted the tomatoes (the manufacturer only recommends 2 tomatoes per box), I found the soil got damper the deeper I dug, so it's wicking up pretty well, I think. The reservoir holds 4 gallons.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:00AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Sounds good. I've never heard of Mel's Mix, but I've never heard of alot of things. Keep us posted.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:11AM
gjshawk(6)

If you go to the square foot gardening forum you will be inundated with Mel's mix. It's a big deal there, kinda like the 5-1-1 (whatever that is) in this forum. Mel Bartholomew is the guru of square foot gardening and he came up with the mix, which allows you to fill raised beds with a good growing soil no matter what the beds are placed on.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™