Makeshift metal container for herbs

SoCalETMay 25, 2011

Hi All,

I'm new here to this board (and a pretty new gardener). I have some metal containers that I would like to turn into herb pots. They are from Crate & Barrel, you can see a photo of it at the link below.

How should I prepare the container for planting my herbs? Do I need to drill holes in the bottom, add rocks or anything to the bottom for drainage? Should I be concerned about any chemicals that may be present? How about soil recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

ET

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of container

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I don't see why they wouldn't work. Drill bottom holes and screen the extra openings. Use a good free draining mix. The powder coating should not be a problem. They are big enough if you don't try putting multiple plants per container. Al

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 8:54AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Just be low the banner at the top of the page is a search box feel free to search for your answers , as you are new and need to do some reading .

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 6:10PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Cool container! It looks like the slats on the sides are open, like a locker, but I would still put 5-6 holes in the bottom. Chemicals? Assuming this was made in China, could be lead paint. I don't think they are very strict in checking on non-toy/food use items. I don't know that I would use a container like that for an edible plant. Maybe somebody who knows more about lead and its' role (if any) in plant physiology / phytochemistry will have some advice there.

Dickie, not everybody has the time or desire to delve into extraneous information. Some just want to plant their (unusual) container and move on with their life.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 10:58AM
SoCalET

Thanks for all your input. Dickie, I did some searching, and have taken in a tremendous amount of information. But I had a very specific question about this unusual container that I found, so I wanted to ask it in a new thread.

Purple, It is cool, isn't it? My plan was to plan herbs in it, labeling each container with the ready made tab in front. You have me concerned now. How do I know what containers are safe for edibles and which are not?

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 1:44PM
rain1950(W. WA z8)

I wouldn't drill any extra holes. Just use some landscape fabric on the sides to close off the openings.

As far as safety; the powder coat is just a special type of paint application and is perfectly safe. If you question plastics, just go to the store and look at food containers. On the bottom is a number inside a triangle; that designated the type of plastic. So that's what you search out for containers. . . . .just avoid 'Made in China'

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Testing mycorrhizal fungus inoculant in containers
So I have decided to test a mycorrhizal fungus inoculant...
Bob1016
Hydrophobic potting soil
The potting soil in some of my containers has become...
patio_garden
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Sponsored Products
Peg Puzzle Barstool
$899.99 | Dot & Bo
Tiffany-style Mesa Table Lamp
Overstock.com
MaxLite ELLF405UN50 MaxLite StaxMAX LED Flood Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Vizcaya Mercury Waste Basket
Grandin Road
Empanadas with Sauce - LIGHT BROWN
$80.00 | Horchow
20-Oz. Olaf 'Chillin' Frozen Cold Cup & Straw
$7.99 | zulily
SYMBOLO Wastepaper Basket by Blomus
$62.99 | Lumens
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Wood Trim Chair and a Half -...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™