Raised Bed treatment and bottom lining

ask_jApril 27, 2013

Hi,
I am in CT and building a raised bed using douglas fir 2X10". I thought it will be a good idea to build 5X8 size bed, but now I am reading that width should be 4' to have better reach. I might cut down one feet.
My question is that I was thinking of treating the wood with some natural material. I read that eco wood treatment and Valhalla lifetime are good. But then I also read on ripoff reports that this is a scam. I also read about boiled linseed oil coating on the wood. Any ideas?

If no treatment then I was thinking of using either weed mat or some 4 mil plastic to wrap (the one they sell in paint department at home depot) around the wood. if no wood treatment then will this option good?

Lastly, I checked that I should put the hardware cloth (1/2" to 1/4") under the bed, I just want to know what should be the wire gauge?

Thanks in advance...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Untreated pine lasts a decade for me, in a similar climate. If that isn't acceptable, I'd look at the synthetic wood alternatives before wrapping with anything. Any finish should be reapplied fairly regularly, which means emptying out the bed.

What is the purpose of the hardware cloth? The only reason I've heard is to keep burrowing animals from coming up in the beds. In that case, the mesh size is dependent on the size of the feared animal.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lemurific

I used hardware cloth under my raised beds. It has kept the burrowing critters out. Locally I couldn't find 4 ft wide sheets. So I had to use two overlapping layers of 3 ft wide. I just went to a big store to get it. But this is about what I got: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-3-ft-x-15-ft-Black-Hardware-Net-751397/100384025#.UX0fCny9KSM

It doesn't keep it weeds though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardware cloth

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Where can I find buyers for these large boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™