Hardy evergrn shrub zone 5?

juleecat(z5 OH)April 11, 2010

Any suggestions for a hardy, evergreen shrub....max. ht. 5 foot...will be the backbone of a bed that is along the western side of the house-gets lots of wind and snow in the winter. I have some great blue hollies in the northern beds, and boxwoods that are semi-protected in southern beds....lilacs doing great on the east, but would like some color in this bed, as it is next to the sideload garage. Our soil is heavy, this bed has been ammended with topsoil, and I plan to put several more inches of topsoil before planting. Will be planting some daylilies, knockout roses, sedum and annuals for spring/summer/fall color. Thanks! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
staceyneil

How about Pieris (Andromeda)? It has those lovely, fragrant , lily-of-the-valley looking flowers in spring. There are white and rose-red varieties. Some varieties also have new growth that's pink-tinged, for more color. Pretty shrubs.

How much sun does it get (full western exposure or some shaded?)? I think some of the Pieris take more sun than others.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 7:25AM
rhodium

Look up some of the cypress genus, as there are lots of fine conifers out there. Not to be a plant snob, but your plant inventory seems to be very big-box store.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 9:09AM
juleecat(z5 OH)

Staceyneil, I have a few Pieris in a semi-protected area in partial sun, and tney are doing well....will have to look into larger varieties, as the species I have are 5yrs old, and only about 2 feet in height. The bed I will be planting is in full sun. rhodium, I will look into the cypress family.....thanks for the suggestion. And, I would love some other plant suggestions that arent' "big-box store".........we live on 5 acres, so lots of land to experiment with, but a limited local supply of plants! :-)

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™