Repotting, worth it?

Phildeez(9b)May 17, 2011

If a mix seems to be holding too much moisture, is it worth the stress to repot? The amount of moisture is not causing disease or any serious problems, yet, but I think the plant would be better off with less retention (peat?).

Plant in question is a yellowing Tabasco pepper in an ~3 gallon pot. The plant is about 8 inches tall and not producing fruit yet.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I'd be inclined to bare root it and repot into an appropriate mix. I'd probably strip some of the bottom branches and plant extra deep in a fast draining soil. I'm pretty confident that even with the setback from the repot, in the long run your plant(s) will perform better than the limited potential offered by a poor mix.

Al

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phildeez(9b)

It is supposed to be 5-1-1 but I clearly botched the peat measurement because it stays wet twice as long as my others and the plant is yellowing. It is visible that there is way too much peat, maybe one too many beers that evening.

Considering particle size is OK, and measurements are off, would you still recommend bare rooting? I could not plant deeper without true leaves touching medium.

P.s. all my other veggies in good 5-1-1 are thriving, thanks for the help thus far, Al.

Phil

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:51AM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™