what else can I squeeze in.

howelbama(7 NJ)May 18, 2014

Hi,

What else can I squeeze in with these eggplants. They are each in a 17 gallon steel bucket.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ownedbyatabby(7b)

How about some strawberries around the edge? I heard the everbearing type can produce throughout summer and fall. I hope it's true because I have one growing vigorously without any flower buds yet.

Yue

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 5:44PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I usually grow two eggplants in a 20-gallon container and the roots fill the container by season end, so I would guess your single egg plant will grow very well in that pot. It might depend on how big the eggplants you are growing will get. Some Asian and dwarf eggplants are pretty small, while black beauty and similar eggplants are fairly large.

You might try growing some herbs that attract beneficial insects, like basil or dill. Or some French marigolds, that are reputed to repel some bad insects. But my experience is that egg plant leaves get very big and will shade any plants growing under them. So sun lovers will be unhappy. I love the idea of mixing different plants in a vegetable container, but it has never worked well for me.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 7:04PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Ohio,

I normally grow my eggplant in raised beds with generous spacing and get great yeilds. This is a first for containers with them. I may just leave then all alone and just provide some mulch instead of nutrient robbing companions...

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 7:44PM
gjshawk(6)

I'm no expert but I think that something fast growing with a shallow root system would be fine, like radishes. They would mature early. Also onions or leeks or whatever those smaller onion-type veggies are called. Lots of choices.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™