What can I use for a plastic hanging basket liner?

organic_wonderfulMay 29, 2011

I bought a couple of wire hanging baskets and coir inserts, but they obviously didn't come with any sort of plastic insert that you use to retain water (with some perforations to allow for drainage), since without one they dry out in less than 24 hours, as I found out to my dismay.

So, what can I use instead? I don't have anything dome shaped that I can use, so I was wondering whether just improvising with cut up plastic shopping carrier bags would do? Or is there anything readily available that someone here could recommend which I could use for the project?

I'll be planting 6 strawberry plants in each of the two 14" hanging baskets if you were wondering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I use the heavier plastic of ziplock gallon size bags. I cut them at the seams and pierce them several times. Each bag serves to line two 14-18 inch hanging baskets. I did this with strawberry plants about five weeks ago and I have been pleased with the results.

I used cheaper, thinner grocery bags last year and some of them didn't hold up very well. The garden center recommended using their clear plastic plant saucers without poking holes in them, but those cost $1 or more.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 10:05AM
terrybull

if your potting mix is draining to fast then putting a plastic liner wont help too much. you need to look at your potting mix. my hanging baskets with the coir bottoms get watered once a week.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 10:45AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Terrybull: What are you using for potting soil? In Southwest Ohio, I would be concerned about only needing to water once a week in the summer. I am using Al's 5-1-1 in my baskets this year. Last year I used a quality nonsoil mix with composted bark and peat. When it got very hot and dry, I had to water every other day. I don't think that's unreasonable. Four weeks into this season, I think the 5-1-1 has already proved it's worth. We've had unseasonable cold and record breaking rainfall. None of my hanging coir-lined baskets are soggy, and they are growing well.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 12:21PM
terrybull

my baskets are pretty big 22 inches and 16 deep. but my mix for them is 4 parts shreded bark, 2 parts peat and one perlite.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 12:43PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Sounds a lot like 5-1-1, which is what I suspect the original poster plans to use.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:04PM
terrybull

no its 4-2-1

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:51PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

So, I guess you are saying that the little bit of extra peat keeps your soil mix moist for a week in an unlined coir basket?

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 4:38PM
terrybull

please read carefully 4-2-1 not 5-1-1

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Sponsored Products
Designer Drains Designer Drains - Waves Oatey Drain Rough
Hudson Reed
Woven Maize Gray Storage Chest
Overstock.com
Uttermost Brandon Nickel 5-Light Large Modern Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Wide Stripe Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Adagio SSR1540 Sunrise Springs - Silver Mirror Wall Fountain
SerenityHealth