Planting trees or gg near retaining wall

oldschoolboyApril 28, 2010

I have a 9 foot tall at the highest that fades into the bank at the longest point (top) it is 75'. I would like to plant some Thuja Green Giant at the bottom of the wall to give me a privacy screen from the neighbors. Would the roots or plants themselves affect the retaining wall?

How far away from the wall should I plant tree such as the royal empress tree from driveways, retaining wall, and foundations?

Thank you for your help,

J Reid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave11

I don't have a design background like many of the folks here do, but I have dealt with a problem similar to yours. I've planted Thuja Green Giant here and elsewhere, and per the name, they get big very fast. Unless your neighbors are on a hill overlooking your property, the thuja are way more than you need. I don't know how their roots would be when they are large, but I believe there would be a risk they would over time start to lift your wall. An inch would be more than enough to crack it. I imagine the frost line there is not very deep?

How high a privacy screen do you need? If it's just 12-14 feet, there are many shrubs that would work, with essentially no risk to the foundations of any structures. Plain old forsythia would work. Or do you need an evergreen?

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Where can I find buyers for these large boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™