Help with backyard

bandy1080April 3, 2013

I am hoping you can help me figure out what do as far as landscaping my property line in the back yard.

As you can see from the images, I have a very nice grass area in the back but where the grass ends there is wild weeds and such that I attempt to keep at bay at least once a year. I have killed them, mowed them, ripped them up but every year they grow back. I am at the point where I can't really deal with them and so I want to hide them.

I am thinking of planting some privacy trees or such that would grow to be 5 - 6 feet high and block the view of the grass but still allow me to see into the woods from my deck and patio. I have no idea about trees or bushes and i figured I would educate myself here before going to the nursery.

This area gets plenty of sunlight and plenty of water from my irrigation system. I am looking for a cheap solution since we are talking almost 120 yards of property line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandy1080

Another photo panning to the right

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:23AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Heavily mulching the area should help prevent re-growth of the weeds. You have a lovely view of the wood. A transition zone of native shrubs might be a solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natives for MA

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:49AM
bandy1080

Thank you for the advice. I would love to do mulch but that is A LOT of mulch. Like three dump trucks full.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:18AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Well, start with one truckload. See how it goes.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 3:27PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Agree, mulch is the way to go to slow down the weed growth.
But truthfully, weeding once a year to control your weed growth would be considered by most gardeners as a very LOW maintenance garden.

If you opt to plant shrubs in the area you will still have the weeds to contend with. You'll probably have more due to unearthing up the soil and bringing the weed seeds up to the light for germination. ... And you will now have shrubs to maintain .

Three truck loads of mulch is nothing for a property of that size.
It is basic landscape maintenance.

Suggest you bring your photo to Mahoneys Nursery and see what they have to say. They've always been a great source of good horticultural information on the Cape.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 3:44PM
yardvaark

When I had large areas to mulch, I arranged to get free wood chips from a couple of different tree maintenance companies. (They dumped about 15 trailer loads of it over a period of time.) It worked out well and made a BIG difference in weed regrowth. (I sprayed with 2 different herbicides first.) It's probably the easiest, cheapest way to keep a large area free of weeds.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:25PM
demeron(Zone 6)

I think your "weeds" are a beautiful offset to your lawn and the trees. I'm jealous of your view just as it is.

A mixed shrub border could be lovely if you can't manage to train your eye to accept what you have :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™