Disguising electrical and utility boxes

Mrs4manApril 12, 2013

Hello all. Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum :)

I have unsightly green utility boxes out in my front yard. There are three of them in a cluster. I know I shouldn't plant anything around them, so that access is readily available, but I was wondering if I could build a 'boulder' that would cover them up, yet be light enough for two people to lift off the boxes. Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I researched Hypertufa, but think that would be too heavy to lift off. I was thinking about loosely wrapping the boxes in chicken wire, paper mache-ing them, and then covering with that spray foam stuff, but I wasn't sure how resilient they'd be to weather. Would it work? Are there any options out there that don't include purchasing a pre-fab rock (they are EXPENSIVE!!) Thanks in advance!!

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

If you make a really nice boulder, I imagine it could be a good solution. But that's a really big "if."

Without a picture, it's hard to say if this could work, but here, many of the utility objects are painted with decorative, multi-colored, high gloss paint schemes that change them into somewhat attractive sculptures. I'm not sure how it started or who's responsible for it, but in general, the scheme is likeable. Some of the pipes, etc. are quite attractive and eye-catching. To my thinking it's a far preferable solution than trying to screen them with bulky shrubs, which usually ends up looking worse than the things that are being screened.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 7:56PM
Marinewifenc

hmm what about this

Here is a link that might be useful: decorate utility box

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:54PM
posyplanter

What a great idea!!! Love it!

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:14AM
rosiew

A neighbor has plantings around hers, and paid attention to how the boxes open, making allowances for that. Doubt that an electrical utility would allow it to be covered over as you suggest.

A picture of yours in relationship to the house and street might help get you some good examples of how others have dealt with this. I've got a couple of small ones, so just ignore them. Love the idea of the birdhouse cover for the cable box that Marinewifenc showed!!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 3:05PM
NinjaPixie87(7)

I think what you're describing is something like this: http://www.thepondguy.com/category/water-gardens-fish-ponds-faux-rocks. They can get a little up there in price, depending on how nice of one you want, but you can also distract from the fakeness of the faux rocks by planting some stuff around it.

(Also, couldn't help it, had to share this...)

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Sponsored Products
Atheneum Antique Gold Copper Wall Clock
$63.99 | Bellacor
'My Sunshine' Box Sign
$14.99 | zulily
Bentley Chandelier by Troy Lighting
$568.00 | Lumens
Set of Two Linen Guest Towels
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Catnapper Deluxe Soother Power Lift Lounger Recliner - 4825 1800-40
$969.00 | Hayneedle