Privacy/Buffer Ideas for Property Line

wwconslt(z5MA)April 29, 2009

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on what to plant as a privacy buffer along one side of our house. Our neighbors on that side have an in ground swimming pool with a low fence around it. Their pool is about 20 feet from our property line.

Our property line runs about 40 yards with a gentle slope from front to back. We know someone who suggested Weeping Willow Bushes. But I think we would need quite a few to cover 40 yards worth. I'm not a big fan of arborvitae trees, but they might provide the best privacy.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wwconslt(z5MA)

Forgot to mention we are in Western Mass. The privacy buffer will be on the south side of the house. Lot's of sun with no shade.

Thanks.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:39AM
karinl(BC Z8)

I'm guessing your neighbours might be violating regulations about pool safety if their fence is low, but that's another issue.

If you use plants you'll need quite a few of whatever you use. If budget is an issue, as was mentioned on another thread, watch craigslist or freecycle, or buy in fall... or indeed, use something that roots easily that you can get cuttings of, maybe from someone who has a big mature bush.

You need to decide what features you want the plants to have - evergreen vs. deciduous, what height, how much maintenance.

Have you considered a privacy fence?

KarinL

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 7:59PM
holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas

I was reading a post that was similar to yours, even though they had a high fence and yours is low. They live close to your zone and there were a lot of good ideas on it. You may want to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suggestions for trees along privacy fence

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 7:59PM
kazoonative(6)

We also needed privacy along a property line. I wanted something fast growing but also evergreen as I wanted year round privacy. We decided on Green Giant arborvitae. They do not look like the typical conical shaped arborvitae, but are a little more open, airy, and free flowing. From my research they are virtually the only variety that are deer resistant. They were about 18-24" when planted last April and averaged a foot of new growth last year. When established, they are supposed to grow 3-5 ft per year. They do need a lot of watering the first year or so until they get settled. With this past hard winter, we had some significant deer damage on half, but hopefully those will recover and I will spray with deer solution just to be sure.
We ordered from The Botany Shop
http://www.botanyshop.com/index.htm . Prices were really good and tree condition on arrival was great.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:34PM
wwconslt(z5MA)

Thank you for all of your great ideas. Kazoonative, you mentioned something I didn't consider but I'm glad you pointed out: year round privacy. The Arborvitae might just be the way to go. What's the major difference between The Green Giant and Emerald Green? How far apart did you plant them? Do you think 10 will suffice for 40-50 yards?

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:15PM
kazoonative(6)

The Emerald Green is a fuller more conical shaped tree from what I've seen. They grow 4-9 inches per year once established (a slow grower) and are not deer resistant. They are a thuja occidentalis - a cultivar of the eastern white cedar. The Green giant grows 3-5 ft per year when established (a fast grower)They have a more open, free flowing appearance and are thuja plicata a cultivar of the western cedar. Check out these info pages: http://www.nurserytrees.com/Arborvitae_What_You_Need_to_Know.html and http://www.botanyshop.com/GREEN%20GIANT%20FACT%20SHEET%201.htm
Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Feedback on my design/plans?
In a previous thread I asked for general suggestions...
Kristin
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Privacy Trees For Zone 5 (US)
We live in zone 5 on approx a 1 acre lot. Our neighbors...
pinball01
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Sponsored Products
Dusty Diamond Log Cabin Toss Pillow 16 x 16 Inch
$23.95 | Bellacor
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Illumine 52 in. 3-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan CLI-C
Home Depot
Tannery Bronze Outdoor Wall 1-Light
PLFixtures
48-inch White Hollow-core TV Console
Overstock.com
Elk Lighting 6H in. Prince Frog Vanity Box - 91-2565
$28.00 | Hayneedle
Isabella Wing Banquette - LAVENDER
$3,319.00 | Horchow
Floor Lamp: Manera Collection 3-Light Aluminum Floor Lamp 22977-014
Home Depot
Sage Yvonne Chiffon Rod-Pocket Panel