boxwood Varder Valley, is smell bad or not so bad

farfraeApril 20, 2008

I posted this on the Shrubs forum also, but would like to ask here. I never had boxwoods before but heard they can have a bad, cat urine type of smell. Which I want to avoid, since the shrubs will be near my front door.

Does boxwood Varder Valley have this bad smell? How about Green Beauty, which is a little leaf type.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Since the first one is a Buxus sempervirens cultivar it would be expected to have the characteristic odor. I haven't noticed the Asian boxes being as assertive with their aromas.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 11:24AM
leahcate(So. Ca.)

Is it universally disliked? I love the smell of boxwood, but assume it's because it always reminds me of my grandmother's home and my childhood. Some dislike the scent of a ligustrum( privet)blossom, while others like it. Am I all alone in liking it or , at least, not minding the smell of boxwood??

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 1:32AM
duluthinbloomz4

Leahcate - I don't think the dislike is universal. I have a keen sense of smell and have had boxwood in warmer climates. When I pruned it, it seemed to emit an earthy amoma which did not make me recoil. Maybe I'm just not such a "sensitive plant" when it comes to scents. Boxwood being such a popular shrub for all sorts of applications - not everyone is turned off.

Many odors can become intensely more cloying to some in hot and humid climates - here in my part of the world, really hot and humid is pretty much an unknown. There are several boxwood varieties that do well here - and I'm going to try a few of them primarily for their deer resistance. I hope they do smell!

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 12:43PM
leahcate(So. Ca.)

Thanks duluth...good to hear not everyone thinks they smell like cat urine, or whatever :>O At any rate, it's certainly not an over-powering scent. I usually must pick a few leaves to crush to determine if it is boxwood vs. another look alike shrub with no scent ... name escapes me :>/

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 11:05PM
rhodium

Has anyone noticed that a large grouping of fragrant hyacinths smell like WD-40, or is it just me?

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 8:31AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

It's just you.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 8:54PM
pokesaladannie

I love the smell of English boxwood and would have more here if it did better in Maine. It reminds me of the old library from my home town that was surrounded by boxwoods that smelled wonderful in the summer.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
New construction landscaping
I am looking for any suggestions for low maintenance...
lauracrawford28
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Sponsored Products
Boxwood Rustic Bronze Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Beveled Gl
$49.99 | Bellacor
Boxwood Textured Black Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Beveled G
$59.99 | Bellacor
Square boxwood wreath 16"
Origin Crafts
C and F Enterprises Boxwood Abbey Hooked Rug - 443203011
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Nuvo Boxwood 1-light Textured Black 14-inch Hanging Fixture
Overstock.com
Bungalow Flooring Door Mats Boxwood Evergreen 24 in. x 36 in. Monogram S Door
$59.97 | Home Depot
Spiral Shaped Topiary Boxwood Plant
Overstock.com
Camel Boxwood Stair Treads - Set of Four