Need Reccomendations for Perrenials for Raised Beds in Front of H

DBNH77April 11, 2014

I know practically nothing about gardening, horiticulture and landscaping but I have some raised beds made out of pavers in the front of my Colonial style home that are barren and unsightly.

The previous owner had large bushes there which we removed because the beds are fairly narrow. From the front of the house to the inside of the front wall of the bed is roughly about three feet. I believe that this is not enough room to plant even small shrubs/bushes so rather than extend the beds (don't have the time or patience for this project at the moment) we've decided to plant perennials in the beds.

We live in southern NH. We'd like recommendations on some perennials that will provide flowering from early/mid spring through early/mid fall if possible. We'd also like a variety of color so that it creates a curb appeal affect. We also don't want very high maintenance plants or something that will grow over 2-3 feet and obstruct the windows in the front of the house.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Most perennials die back over the winter. So they won't look much different from what is currently there about half the year. There are evergreen groundcovers.

What I would suggest is to offer the pavers on Craigslist. Then plant shrubs in front of the current beds. For color, annuals can be planted in front of the shrubs, though they aren't usually described as low maintenance.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 8:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

How tall are the walls of the beds? I'd go to your nursery and spend some time looking at plants - colors you like and look for some colorful ones that tumble over a rock wall, like rock cress or alyssum or creeping phlox (or all of them if they are hardy in your zone).

What will work will depend on your sun exposure, too, but the nursery can help. Mix in some heaths/heathers, maybe some ground cover junipers and some interesting grasses. Ask at the nursery for some recommendations of a few low shrubs that will look good in the winter. In the fall, plant some spring flowering bulbs that will come up before everything else is ready to bloom. Vary the colors and textures and you could have a pretty little flower bed without much maintenance.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
Privacy Trees For Zone 5 (US)
We live in zone 5 on approx a 1 acre lot. Our neighbors...
pinball01
Sponsored Products
Wendy Flocked Luxury 7-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Starburst Gold Plush Petal Throw Pillow
$17.99 | zulily
Dogit Striped Cotton Rope Toy with Ball - 72394
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Grand Luxe Egyptian Cotton Bellisimo 1200 Thread Count Sheet Separates or Pillow
Overstock.com
All Black Giclee LED Reading Light Plug-In Sconce
Lamps Plus
Philips | Float 6 Light LED Floor Lamp - 42220
$420.00 | YLighting
Patio Heaven Palisades Double Chaise - SB-C2-GSR-48030
Hayneedle
Red Train Tall Folding Bin
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™