Mulching my Earthtainers

Athenian(USDA 10B/Sunset 22)May 26, 2012

My two Earthtainers seem to be doing well and I've just put some bark over the one with peppers.

I'm wondering though, whether it's necessary with the cucumbers. The cucumbers seem to be doing well -- six of the eight plants are really growing and I just had to add the second story to the cage. The cage is so filled that two of the plants are hardly growing; I think because they are so shaded. Do I really need to cover the plastic in this case?

Thanks.

Athena

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suncitylinda

I think we have a current thread on this very topic. I have Earthboxes which (I think) is what Raybo expanded on with his Earthtainers. EB is designed as a closed system, not so much to prevent evaporation as to prevent top water from rain entering the system. The system relies on the growing medium to wick up water from below for optimum dispersal of the ferts. Top watering, or rain causes the ferts to break down much more quickly, as they would in a regular top watered container. I live in SoCal also, and we stop getting rain long about April. I left an EB uncovered last year, and just placed some bark fines on the top to help prevent water loss from evaporation.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Question for Al (tapla) re bark in gritty mix
I live in Australia and just starting to experiment...
alan.oz
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™