Planting veggies

turaloora(z10Cal.)May 16, 2014

I have 3 self watering containers? Each is 3ftx2ft and approx 1 ft deep. Would i be able to grow a cucumber in 1 a zucchini in 1 and a bell pepper in 1? I got these containers at a garage sale, and they dont show when they are full of water even with the thing you fill the water in? So how do i tell if they are full then? They are from natural gardening catalog, Their newer models of different planters have a gauge that tells you when its full and when they need water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

If they are similar to Earthboxes, there is a hole in the side for overflow. You just fill them until water comes out that hole. You need to water everyday once your season gets going and try to determine how rapidly the reservoir empties out. The top of the soil mix should always be moist.

If they are Earthboxes, they hold about 15 gallons or 2 cubic feet of mix. The EB people say you can grow 2 tomatoes, or 2 zucchini or 6 cucumbers in one of their pots. If your tomatoes are large indeterminates, you'd probably be better growing only one. And I don't think anyone needs more than one zucchini plant. But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Sorry. I see you wanted to grow peppers, not cucumbers. You could grow two of those.

This post was edited by Ohiofem on Sat, May 17, 14 at 12:10

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™