Front yard Walkway help w/ perennials

dinosaur1(5)April 4, 2010

Link to a picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pewaukeedp/FrontYard#

We have a crabapple tree along with some 3 hostas around the tree that haven't come up yet. On the left side of that in between the rocks we have Goldflame Spirea. The Spirea are nice, but we wanted to move them somewhere else. What else can we put in their place that would look great? In the summer we also place some yellow and orange Marigolds close to the rocks on our walkway.

Btw, I click on "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you."......

but I never get e-mail replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Try putting your link in the Optional Link URL slot that comes up below the Message box when you post.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 11:09PM
karinl(BC Z8)

This time your thread does show you as getting email replies. Previous threads didn't, so let's hope that this time you do.

I'm going to be difficult on this topic again and ask for a picture showing the bed in context. It seems to be a foundation bed, and a foundation bed usually has a design purpose - grounding the house, making a welcoming entry, sometimes concealing or disguising undesirable features. Or just a place to garden more.

Personally, as I've said too often if you've read other threads around here, I find foundation planting is often done for no reason at all and could be replaced to better effect with beds elsewhere in the yard. Beds you can get to from both sides are easier to take care of too. Plus you can use bigger plants without worrying about airspace.

You're probably not about to remove the foundation bed though, so if you give us a better overview of the bed perhaps someone will have some ideas about shape or style of plants that will look good. You may have noticed that we don't often give specific plant suggestions but you can get an idea of shape or size to go for.

KarinL

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 1:06AM
dinosaurwi

Karinl. Here is a link to the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walkway

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 8:00AM
dinosaur1(5)

What if I go with flower carpet roses? When can I plant them?

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 9:36PM
karinl(BC Z8)

See that's the hard part with plant suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of those in a million years and yet they may be perfect for you.

You can probably plant them whenever your local nurseries have them in stock.

KarinL

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:26AM
dinosaurwi

Karinl. Based on my picture what can you recommend?

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Coordinating Trees with Neighbors
Anyone think about how to coordinate front yard trees...
edlincoln
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Need help with plant selection....
Any ideas of what plants I can plant between the dark...
Roy_R
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™