Horse trough as a giant EarthTainer

Athenian(USDA 10B/Sunset 22)May 26, 2012

I'm so excited about my debut experience with the EarthTainers that I'm thinking about how I can use the method in a bigger area. I was thinking about a wicking bed but I think that would take more to set up and maintain over the years than I'll be able to manage on my own

I was surfing around and found an article about "Horse Trough Gardening". Has anyone actually done this?

Athena

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse Trough Gardening

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew

Athena, thanks for the link. Have you done any pricing? I'd like to know the cost per unit. Not cheap, I know, but really durable. Should last many, many years.

Rosie

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 7:44PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

I have seen it done, my only concern would be how hot the silver metal can get in the summer sun. But in know people do use them both as standard containers and converted to large swcs.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 8:09PM
Athenian(USDA 10B/Sunset 22)

I looked at prices for horse troughs but haven't done any real costing yet. I'm in an urban area and will have to look for a farm supply place somewhere. As far as I can tell, the price of the trough itself is comparable to using plastic bins on a square foot basis but the cost of shipping is horrendous.

I need 4-6 troughs and I figure it would have to be a multi-year project year project get them installed; the first step being to grade and gravel the sites for these things. Right now, my Earthtainers are sitting on makeshift levelers.

As a single woman of a certain age, I would like to cut down on the preparation that goes into my parents' in-ground garden each year. That's why I started my EarthTainer experiment. The horse troughs would not only provide a larger planting area, they would also be more attractive than a lot of plastic bins and could be a landscaping element. I was thinking that they could be surrounded by lattice fencing if necessary.

It's a project to consider...

Athena

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 12:25PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Athena, tractor supply company and Agway stock them. TSC usually has more options in stock size wise... Odds are, you have one or the other withina decent driving distance from you.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 2:32PM

The closest TSC is 120 miles away. :(

I hope to find a farm/ranch supplier a bit closer. It will probably take me even longer to find a source for bark fines in the necessary quantity.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:13PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Athena,

Thanks for the mention of lattice fencing. I have been looking for a way to hide my EarthTainers and other lovely containers. The lattice will be just the ticket!!

DL

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 2:38AM
valentinetbear(z6 PA)

I haven't used a horse trough. (I doubt I could get one through my house, which is the only way to get stuff into my garden/backyard. lol) I have used much smaller galvinized tubs though, but for my prickly pear cactus. I don't dare use it for any plant that couldn't stand the heat. The prickly pear seems to like it. I've just reach the stage where I'm wondering what to do now that it is so full of prickly pear. ;)

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 4:45AM

You make jelly! We had it all the time when I was a child. I recall once eating some sort of prickly pear pie too ... but only once :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickley Pear Jelly

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Shires Equestrian Poultice Boot - 142-LARGE
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Shell Chair - Saddle Leather, Dark Stained Oak - Mater
$1,600.00 | HORNE
Murcia Earth Brown Ceramic Table Lamp Set of 2
Lamps Plus
SLV Lighting | Nautilus Spike Stainless Steel Outdoor Floodlight
$248.00 | YLighting
Russell 4-lt Pendant
LBC Lighting