Need help please, how to add dirt to a dropoff along a fence

lakedawgsApril 8, 2012

HI,

The corner of my property drops off a bit. We are talking 8" - 12". I have a chainlink fence right there also. I want to add dirt to this area. What would you used to put up against the fence to keep the dirt from just passing through? I thought about maybe 1/4" piece of plywood or something but was not sure if there was a better option.

THANKS,

Lakedawgs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

How long has it been this way and why are you making the change? What are the conditions on the other side of the fence? A picture that explains what's up wouldn't hurt.

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 2:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

1/4 " plywood won't last all that long in constant contact with moist soil. You'd probably be better off using a 2 by 12 " pressure treated Douglas fir board against the base of the fence, and only building up the soil about 8 " or so. Depending on the depth of footings of the posts, you might end up causing the fence to lean out from the additional pressure, and adding additional 1-1/2" diameter galvanized steel vertical supports at 4' on center between each assumed 8' o.c. existing post, with sufficient depth suited to your climatic conditions

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™