Pine Bark Mulch

bigpinksMay 3, 2014

Been using the 5-1-1 for a coupla yrs with good success esp for eggplant and peppers. Today I opened one of those same bags after 2yrs in garage and it was all composted except for a few big hunks. Is this no good for the 5-1-1? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_yard_guy(6A)

Bigpinks,

I have some similar pine bark mulch that is also heavily composted, mostly fine material with maybe 25% actual pine bark remaining (see attached photo).

If I was using my composted bark to make 5-1-1, I would probably add 2 or 3 parts fresh pine bark to 1 part of this composted bark and eliminate the peat completely. The composted bark I have holds a significant amount of water so I would want to use the fresh bark help to improve drainage.

That is only my opinion, and others on the list might give you better information. It really depends on how much drainage you want, how composted your bark is, and what you wish to grow in your 5-1-1. But I would add at least consider adding some amount of fresh pine bark.

Hope that helps.

TYG

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 7:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigpinks

Thanx...I figured the total compost would not drain well enough but wasn't sure. I have a big side yd garden but am looking this yr to put a couple late tomatoes on the driveway to combat my early blight problem

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Banana plant in grow bag
hi .. potted this tree last month and it has survived...
amriteanukul112
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™