plants for a yin-yang design

qwillpenApril 5, 2011

I have a 8 ft round yin-yang I've done in 2 colors of mulch with a weeping red Japanese maple in the center for the past several years. I'd like to convert this to a perenial garden. What kind of plants should I use? I need low growing, easily contained perenials that contrast to show each side on the yin-yang. Should be deer resitant and part shade. This is on a slope. any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

This carpet bedding type design lends itself best to using annuals. True, on the minus side, you're replacing every year, but annuals bloom all season as opposed to perennials which bloom once (and not all varieties at the same time) leaving your design either splotchy or a bloomless foliage green on green for much of the time. The plant height swing is pretty wide too and will likely need several years (definitely not one season) to fill in so anyone could even remotely guess there's a pattern somewhere in there.

On the plus side, annuals tend to be inexpensive and are very largely deer resistant. You can get a lot of annuals for the price of one perennial - especially if you're not above scouting out the big box stores early in the season when their stock is fresh off the truck and not yet abused by the usual big box handling. Height and spread easily controlled by pinching or deadheading spent blooms.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 4:46PM
karinl(BC Z8)

I think you could do it with foliage in perennials, not with flowers. Hostas, heucheras, etc now come in so many varieties (starting to feel less like plants, but let's leave that!) that you could do blue leaves/gold leaves or purple leaves/orange leaves. Sedums might also be do-able. But hmm, deer. Maybe not so much hostas, unless with a chicken-wire cover.

KarinL

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:30PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Why not something extremely simple, such as Black Mondo Grass and Dwarf Green Mondo Grass. Throw some spring blooming bulbs such as Ipheion uniflorum into the green for a little sizzle this time of year.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 12:17AM
KraB

black mondo grass and white hosta

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 10:22AM
qwillpen

LOVE the idea of black Mondo grass, but I'm in zone 5 and Mondo is for zone 6 and higher. Would it work in northeastern Ohio?

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 1:41PM
inkognito

The symbolism is of two different but complimentary forces, most easily and usually shown in black and white. There is no reason why, bearing in mind the the medium already demonstrates this and mostly comes in green that one side could be green and the other side green.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Where can I find buyers for these large boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Need design help for this newbie!
My husband and I are undertaking what has turned out...
stillasprout
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™