Dwarf Blueberries in Whisky Half Barrel Qs

bekindMay 19, 2011

I'm going to plant a Northcountry in a whiskey half barrel, it grows in a mound 18" to 24". I got the barrel last year cheap b/c the garden center was using it to place potted plants in it and at the bottom is an alternating stack of nailed 2x4s to add height. I left the wood in there as filler, put rocks too, then filled it with potting soil and peat.

A garden center owner on YouTube re: blueberry plants in barrels said do not put filler, soil top to bottom.

Should I remove the 2x4s and rocks? It fills up the bottom 8 to 10 inches I think. I thought blueberry plants are shallow rooted?

Also, that soil mixture is always moist, almost too wet...last summer the petunias turned yellow in it and this spring it was too wet for the pansies. Would it also be too wet for the blueberry plant? Some recommend all peat in a container, sounds like that would retain too much moisture. I was going to add to the peat/potting soil mixture some black composted leaf soil and xmas tree mulch.

I also have Organic Traditions Soil Acidifer but that isn't the issue. Why does the soil stay so wet? I do have three small holes on the bottom.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

dO YOU HAVE DRAIN HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL ?

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 3:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bekind

Yes, I mentioned three holes and I carefully placed rocks so they wouldn't get plugged. Those who use all peat must live in a dry climate.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 6:51AM
More Discussions
Strawberries came back! Now what?!?
Last summer I planted some Sequoia strawberries in...
vp_78
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Pre-watering before Fertilizing Vegetables
I have read on GardenWeb where some people (who appear...
stringz
Sponsored Products
Morgan Chair - IVORY
$2,159.00 | Horchow
FSC 4-ft Half Moon Pendant, 2 x 32W T8, Single Ballast, Cable Kit
LBC Lighting
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum 42 in. Round Aluminum Chat Table Multicol
$630.96 | Hayneedle
Norwood II Brown Cherry Wall Chime Clock
$518.00 | Bellacor
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Squares Half-round Mat
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Three Tier Half Moon Shelf Unit in Black
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™