What would this cost?

sandyman720(NJ)April 22, 2010

I got a price from a landscaping company to plant the following in my front yard. Just wondering what you think would be a reasonable price to do this.

Here it is:

1 purple leaf plum

1 flowering cherry

3 knock out rose bushes

1 Japanese maple (Acer palmatum 'Attraction')

14 China Boy Holly bushes

2 Arborvitae-Degroot's Spire

1 dwarf Alberta spruce

3 Spiraea (Flaming Mound)

5 Juniper Old Gold

3 Lavender bushes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Since you do not even indicate what sizes these plants are, there is almost no basis for anyone here to work up a free estimate - which is basically what you are asking for.

Instead get additional estimates from contractors in your area, who can visit the site and see everything that is involved in the project. That is how you can get a feeling for the fair market value of your project in your market.

Six estimates should be enough for the best price to emerge. There should be more than one who comes in at about the same price. Do not go with the lowest price, unless most estimates all happen to come in at or near the bottom of the range that develops. Otherwise one might expect a cluster of similar prices, with a few that are above or below it. Somebody in that cluster will be among those knowing what the job should cost, be who you should pick.

Someone cheaper that the rest may have made a mistake, or be planning on cutting corners.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 1:16PM
Frankie_in_zone_7

Right--you can't get an "estimate" of a job from your list. In addition to the actual sizes of plants and wholesale price variations, there are so many issues involved such as preparation, soil amendments. design, how the job and fee schedule are structured. For example, you may not necessarily be able just to get an estimate from your list from someone else--but if you did have a full "design" and job of work estimate with everything itemized, then you may be able to see what someone else would charge to do the exact same thing. Otherwise, you will compare apples to oranges (one person will plop shrubs in ground for price x, another person's estimate includes optimal soil prep and amendments, or different quality materials including plant material may be used.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 5:28PM
inkognito

Assuming that this is on your roof with no access I would guess at $15,000 plus tax.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 5:57PM
lehua49

Sandy,

All sarcasm aside. What was the itemized plant list pricing and how was the scope written up on your proposal? What was the total price? What did they say they wouldn't do or that you had to provide? What was their overhead, insurance, taxes and profit percentages(markup)?

Ink, lets see how close you came.

Aloha

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 1:01AM
More Discussions
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Sponsored Products
Florence Style Loft Left-Arm Leather Sectional Sofa in Black
$1,499.00 | LexMod
Red Ego Swivel Bar Stool - Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Blue Calliope Linen Ava 6-Light Nickel Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Navy Double-Fill Down Alternative Microfiber Comforter
$24.99 | zulily
Colonial Mills Softex Braided Rug - Sangria Check Multicolor - CX17R108X108
$648.99 | Hayneedle