I'm a newbie here.

zzackey(8b GA)May 5, 2012

I'm container growing my veggies for the first time. Someone gave me alot of free nursery cloth. I have that on the ground with my veggie pots (3 gallon and larger) on top of it. My summer squash and tomatoes are wilting from the heat. I want to use the cloth, but what can I do to help my poor babies survive? We just had our first 90+ day. TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

Fabricate some sort of canopy to suspend that shade cloth over your plants to provide some sun relief. Having the cloth underneath the pots is bass-ackwards of what you need. You could also put them in a spot where they don't get hammered by strong, afternoon sun.

Joe

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 7:46PM
zzackey(8b GA)

The cloth is called ground cloth. It is what the nurseries use to keep the weeds away. I will try and find some shade cloth. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 4:18PM
Joe1980(5)

Ahhh, ok. I read "nursery cloth" and instantly thought of the stuff they make canopies with.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:42PM
greentiger87

Summer squash and tomatoes should not be wilting just because of above 90 temps... there's something else going on.

Container size: 3 gallons is just too small for tomatoes. 5 gallons is the minimum, and I generally use 20 gallon tubs.

Transplant shock: did you just transplant them? They should be in partial shade until they establish.

Watering frequency: When first establishing, you may have to water transplants several times a day. In such small pots, you may not be able to get away with watering just once a day as the plant gets bigger... tomatoes pull a LOT of water as the summer goes on.

Root temps: Even when a plant is adequately watered, the roots can bake in the summer heat, causing a variety of problems. Small and dark colored pots aggravate this. Solutions include insulated pots, unglazed terra cotta pots, much larger pots, shading the pot with a some kind of box structure, spray painting pots white, using a pot-in-pot system with mulch as an insulator between the two pots.

Pests: Check for destroyed stems at the base of your squash plant, as sudden wilting can be indicative of squash borers.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:47PM
zzackey(8b GA)

They look fine today. Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Sponsored Products
Favorite Friend Giclee Art Base Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Dunn Leather Chair - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Imperial Dress Porcelain Window Valance
$39.99 | Bellacor
Loll Cube Birdhouse - Loll Designs
$79.00 | HORNE
Each 42"W x 96"L Smocked Linen Curtain
$280.00 | Horchow