Help! Cape Mallow- Tara's Pink looks bad!!!

queenjillybeanMay 28, 2013

About 3 weeks ago I planted a Tara's Pink cape mallow in a large 1/2 barrel. It is well drained, and I used Ladybug brand Vortex potting soil (blend of 5 beneficial compost, mineral sand, expanded shale and perlite)
It seems to be sort of a finicky plant/shrub thus far... And I have been watching closely, thinking it just needs some time to stabilize.
Everything I have read and or asked states that it is great for my climate, drought tolerant, blah blah... The first few weeks I noticed it drinking a lot of water- needing daily soaks or it would get limp - but perking up with water immediately. Over this past weekend, we got 7 inches of rain, and I am wondering if it is unhappy from too much water? Or am I not watering it enough? I can't seem to find anything regarding "problems" with this plant- as it seems to be pretty hardy... I am posting pictures I just took to see if anyone has any ideas or advise as to how I can help this plant?! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The mix you are using is unknown. Maybe someone will have some experience with this mix, which I feel is what is causing you the problems. Al

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™