Grubs in Pepper Area

muddypaws4ever(6)March 25, 2012

Hi all! What a wealth of info on here. It's great for gardeners like me.

Anyway here's my question. I'm clearing out an area for my pepper plants. I noticed some grubs - not many but some. Can I treat for them now (late march) and it would be okay to plant pepper plants by mid May?

Thanks again!

Muddypaws

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Depends on what you are going to "treat them" with. The active soil life varies from chemical to chemical.

Honestly some are normal in most gardens so for the most part I'd ignore them chemical-treatment-wise. If you are tilling/turning the soil that alone will take care of most of them.

If you want an organic treatment (allows you to plant right away) look into parasitic nematodes. Inexpensive and very effective.

Dave

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 4:46PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm not sure that I would worry too much about 'some' grubs. I am curious about what you would treat them with.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 5:46PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

I wouldnt worry about them, as long as its not a heavy infestaation, the act of turning the soil will eliminate most (ie, birds and sun exposure) Every garden is going to have grubs, its inevitable,

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 12:11AM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Most of the grubs in my yard are in the compost pile. I've found over the years, that allowing the "wildlife" clear out most of the grubs first, then sifting the compost, letting the birds finish off the pill bugs, this simple remedy works well.

Get em before you put the fresh compost into the planting areas, saves alot of headache later on.

Bejay

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 11:01AM
veeta

I see plenty of grubs every time I dig, and I toss them out and hope the robins eat them. I don't think they are particularly destructive pests.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 12:47PM
bella_trix(z6b SE PA)

I never worry about grubs in the garden, certainly not enough to treat an area for them. I've found that most are Japanese beetles, June bugs or those giant Green June bugs. I've found lots of grubs over the years and never had a problem.

I also toss the Japanese beetle grubs to the robins. Most of them get eaten by grackles and starlings as they rise to the surface of the soil. I actually leave the Green June bug grubs (huge!)because I like the beetles. They have never damaged crops in the areas where I leave them and the grubs only eat decaying organic matter.

Bellatrix

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 12:44PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Birds actually follow me around when I'm pottering about outside, knowing that I will toss caterpillars and grubs to them.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:02PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Bella_trix,
The Japanese beelte grub is a grass root eater & the beetle eats leaves(small June bug).
The larger grubs eat compost like earthworms, the larger beetle are Green fruit beetle. The green fruit beetle only eat damaged fruit.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™