Zigging and Zagging

bahia(SF Bay Area)April 13, 2011

So many California homes are often more driveway than garden when faced with relatively narrow lots, and the garden often is treated as an afterthought. This home had the additional need to fit in a full floor of stairs within a very shallow front yard set back. The design uses a zig-zag alignment for the stairs that uses a playful layout of walls and railings and built-in planters to make the most of the relatively limited planting areas. People seem to either love it or be annoyed by the configuration, what is your opinion? Mine holds that it's visually more pleasing than a single straight run of stairs out to the street, as the owner/builder originally intended when he drew up the plans. One of the reasons that this house is so tall, is that a ground floor mother-in-law unit was placed for extended family use or as an office.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/sets/72157626488124694/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

David, below where you type your message, there is a box labeled 'Optional Link URL:' That's the secret to typing a clickable link. Below that is a box for Name of the Link. Don't want anyone to miss your excellent design photos and commentary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zigging and Zagging

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 3:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drtygrl

That is truly a great use of a very limited space. I love the combination of the stonework, the red/orange railing and the carefully chosen plantings. I think it is more interesting to have a zig zag staircase that "slows" you down then a straight run. Being a ridiculously clumsy person, I always think a straight run staircase is dangerous...And let me tell you I know from experience.

The challenge that is highlighted by the photos is the balance between the large paved driveway area and the very small "landscape" area. With height and weight in the landscaping I think you have accomplished that as much as possible.

I think "playful" is the perfect adjective for the design. Thanks again for sharing!!

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Feedback on my design/plans?
In a previous thread I asked for general suggestions...
Kristin
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Sponsored Products
Franklin Sofa - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Singer 7467S Confidence Stylist Sewing Machine - 7467S.CL
$230.99 | Hayneedle
Clouds Dakota Square Zig Zag Chandelier by Justice Design Group
$756.00 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Zigzag
Home Depot
Chic Home Horizon Embroidered Comforter Set - 53CQ106-HE
$115.81 | Hayneedle