need help wih melons!

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)May 12, 2014

NOTE: I'm not growing them in the ground because our growing season is extremely short and I don't trust the weather here to plant them in the ground.

I've heard of the idea of growing melons in 5 gallon buckets.

The types of melons I have are both bush and vining.

However, if I grow them in melons, would I end up compensating the plant in the process? By this I mean, because they would be grown in smaller containers, would the fruit be smaller, due to less growing space being available for the melon?

This question is especially in regards to the vining varieties of melons I have, since I know they haven't been bred to grow in compact spaces like the bush type melons have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

If you water and fertilize sufficiently, the fruit needn't be compromised at all. However, in containers, one will often get smaller fruit, or fewer fruit if the fruit are full-sized.

Josh

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 9:06PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

On some of my seed packages of melons, instructions say never to them get root bound. I can't say I know why? It was concerning growing them indoors to start.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:33PM
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

It's been recommended that if you're going to grow melons in containers the MINIMUM size is 5 gallons.

So, if I grow them in 5 gallon buckets, is that really an ideal size container for a melon plant? If it will work, but it's recommended to have a bigger size container what would be the ideal size container for the plants?

I use storage containers and I'll list the ones available below...please recommend what would be the ideal size container out of the storage containers listed below...

10 gallon
15 gallon
20 gallon
30-35 gallon
40 gallon
45 gallon
50 gallon
54 gallon

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 10:13AM
greentiger87

54 gallon.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 1:02PM
gregplantaine7(7a)

I successfully grew watermelons with juicy fruit in a 10" pot although the fruit was only about baseball size so 10 gallon pots may get you close to full-sized fruit if it is a bush or small vining type.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™